This week I was kind of into comfort food. I found this recipe for vegan lentil sloppy joes with the Edgy Veg and decided to try to recreate the recipe for myself with some changes. Seitan was used instead of the veggie ground round. Growing up, we used to have sloppy joes occasionally, so it was nice to find a recipe that was better for you than using ground beef. They tasted really good. I would say it did not taste like the original of course. The mixture was great to eat even without the bread.
I primarily used seitan because that is what I had around the house. If you want to use the veggie ground round feel free to do so! It was super easy to make and you just need a few things that your most likely have in your kitchen already!
Vegan Lentil Sloppy JoesPrint Recipe
- 1 Tbsp Coconut Oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- ½ red pepper, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup brown lentils
- 2 cups water
- 1 tsp ground cumin1/2 tsp chili powder
- 3 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 cup Seitan, Original
- 1-14oz can of organic tomato sauce
- 1-2 Tbsp bbq sauce
- 1 tbsp Vegan Worcestershire Sauce vegan worcestershire sauce
- 4 toasted and vegan buns
- Salt & pepper to taste
1. In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium-high heat.
2. Add onion, red pepper, and garlic; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring frequently for 5 mins.
3. Add lentils, water, cumin, chili powder and tomato paste and bring to a boil, over medium-high heat.
4. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook, stirring occasionally for 30 minutes, covering after 15 mins, until lentils are tender. Add more water if the liquid level drops too much.
5.Stir in veggie ground round, tomato sauce, bbq sauce and Worcestershire sauce and simmer until heated through and thickened, stirring occasionally, about 5-10 minutes, covered.
6.Season to taste with salt and pepper and scoop lentils onto toasted and buttered buns bottoms and garnish with any optional toppings you desire and the top of the bun.
Thank you for reading! I broke my camera lens so I sorry the pictures are a little blurry. Who knew that camera lenses were so expensive!