Please note that some links below are affiliate links (denoted by a *) which just means that I may receive a small commission, at no cost to you, should you make a purchase through my link. I only recommend products that I wholeheartedly support myself
I hope you are having a great day wherever you are. Lately, I have been into some vegan comfort food recipes, and I found this fried jackfruit recipe that I thought I would put my own spin on. This is how my BBQ Fried Jackfruit came to be.
BBQ Fried Jackfruit
Recently, I finally made it over to Trader Joe’s and found they had jackfruit in a can! I picked up 3 cans, which for me is a lot to do at once. I try to shop every few days so I can use fresh ingredients and cut down on food waste.
Jackfruit can be made into basically anything that resembles chicken. I bought it for $1.99 a can by the way. So the best bet is to go over to Trader’s Joes rather than buying it online, but I will include a link as well.
The consistency is similar to chicken, but it might take you a little bit to get used to it. It’s basically the chicken without the guilt. Although consuming fried foods regularly is never healthy according to my doctor.
I would suggest that you dip your toe in the water with this jackfruit recipe. It’s a great way to eat something you are already familiar with and veganize it. Then you can branch out from there.
I hope you love this jackfruit recipe. I fried it like my Dad fries chicken so you can use your seasoned salt liberally. Everyone deserves one cheat day!
BBQ Fried JackfruitPrint Recipe
- 1 14 oz. Can Jackfruit in Brine
- Vegan Buttermilk:
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1 tablespoon Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1/2 tsp of Hot Sauce
- Seasoned salt to taste
- For the batter:
- 1/2 cup All Purpose Flour
- 1/8 cup Cornstarch
- 1/2 tablespoon Baking Powder
- Season to taste Seasoning salt
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Vegan BBQ sauce (1 cup or more)
1. Drain and rinse the jackfruit pieces taking care not to break them up
2. Combine the almond milk/apple cider vinegar and let sit for 5 minutes. Add the jackfruit (drained and rinsed) and let sit for 5 minutes.
3. Combine flour, baking powder, and cornstarch together.
4. Heat the oil, dip the jackfruit in the flour mixture.
5. Dip in oil and fry until golden brown
6. Take out and place napkin with a plate, brush with BBQ sauce.