I hope your year is starting off well. This week I wanted to make some vegan cheese. I wanted to try this at home, because vegan cheese can be so expensive, plus, I do feel it is important to learn to make everything you can to cut down on unwanted chemicals.
Vegan Cheese w/ Herbs
First things first, I found a version of this recipe over at Delightful Adventures, but I added some more herbs to it. The recipe seemed intimidating at first, but I managed to make it to my taste. I would describe this cheese as more of a vegan cheese spread rather than a meltable cheese.
I loved this vegan cheese spread! It really hit the spot with my homemade crackers and veggies. When the weather finally warms up, I will definitely take it out for a picnic, or use it on a sandwich, or even a just a snack with some crackers or chips.
Vegan Cheese W/ HerbsPrint Recipe
- 1 cup raw almonds (soaked 24 hours in container)
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh herbs (I used chives and parsley)
1. Place the raw almonds into a glass container and cover with water. Cover, and place in the refrigerator. Soak for 24 hours.
2. Drain and rinse the soaked almonds after the 24 hours have passed.
3. Place the soaked almonds, water, lemon juice, nutritional yeast, olive oil, garlic powder, and salt into a high speed blender. Blend until smooth.
4. Empty mixture into a bowl, add chopped herbs and mix until everything is combined.
5. Place in an airtight container and refrigerate for a few hours so the flavour can develop.
Store unused spread in the refrigerator in an airtight container for 4-5 days.