I hope your day is going great. I had some leftover sweet potatoes ( I am working on a vegan sweet potato pie) so I was on the hunt for something to do with them. Thankfully, I found this recipe from This Mess is Ours and tweaked it a bit to what I had at home. I wanted to share this recipe for sweet potato taquitos with you.
Sweet Potato Taquitos
I love recipes like this. The flavours of cilantro and lime are some of my favorite type of flavours. The sweet potato gave it an interesting new taste for me. Normally, I do not expect to have a sweet taste, but I admit that I do like it! Definitely going to add this to my taquitos list. Sweet potato taquitos are super easy to make and really perfect for an appetizer. I have made taquitos with jackfruit, and simply black beans before, so this is a great addition, especially when it comes to my taco Tuesday nights.
I made these just to snack on, and have leftovers for a simple meal prep. I am trying to find more ways to get beans and sweet potatoes into my diet. They are a better option than the normal white potatoes, I keep reading.
Vegan Sweet Potato TaquitosPrint Recipe
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled, cut into chunks
- 1 can 15 oz. black beans
- 2 tablespoons of vegan butter
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup onions
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 lime (for juice)
- 12 flour tortillas
- Olive oil
1. Preheat stove to 350 F
2. Bring pot of water to a boil, with salt. Add potatoes and reduce heat. Cook for about 15 minutes until you can put a fork through the potatoes.
3. Drain potatoes, and combine spices. In another bowl combine onions, cilantro and lime juice.
4. Gather tortillas, and use some olive oil to brush the outside of the tortillas.
5. In a pot combine black beans and sweet potato mixture with onion mixture. Mash the potatoes and put mixture in the tortillas.
6. Put in oven and cook until browned on top.